Recipe: Serves 4
For Navajo Frybread:
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 2.5 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 cup warmed water
– 3 cups oil, for frying
For Hatch Green Chile Stew:
– 1 yellow onion
– 1 cup roasted, peeled, chopped Hatch Green Chiles
– 2 russet potatoes, rough chopped
– 3 cups no-chicken broth
– 1 vegan bullion cube
– .75 cup corn starch slurry
– Garlic/pepper/onion powder/salt
– Fresh oregano
Vegan Sour cream (red chile mixed in for extra heat)
Chopped red onions
Vegan refried beans
Vegan shredded cheddar jack cheez
Procedure: Combine all ingredients except cornstarch & potatoes into a crock pot, Add 2 cups water. Cook on high for 3 hours. Add potatoes, cook additional hour. Add corn starch, cook on low for an additional hour. Stew should be thick.
In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add warm water & mix w/ fork until a dough forms. Turn dough out and knead for 5 minutes, then transfer to a clean bowl and cover. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces, roll each piece into a ball, and then pat/roll flat into a 6-inch disc shape. They can be uneven.
- Heat oil in large skillet or cast iron and, working in batches, fry each disc 2 minutes on each side until it puffs up and forms golden brown bubbles on the bread. Set on a paper towel to drain, sprinkle sea salt on top.
- Keep warm in an oven until all are fried.
- Layer refried beans on taco shell, then a scoop of green chile stew, top with cheeze sprinkle, onions, cilantro and drizzle with sour cream. (For a thin drizzle of sour cream, add water and mix. Use a squeeze bottle for accurate drizzle)